Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Adoption and the Military

So, I looked into it today and it really is rather unfair that military families have to jump through so many hoops just to get an agency to consider them for adoption. That's crazy. Yes, the military does require moving around--both in country and overseas--but there are so many children who need homes that it just doesn't make sense to deny them the ability to help out. Besides, base schools are amazing, there's excellent medical care, great adoption benefits, a built in support system AND it's so racially diverse it may as well be a picture of the world choir. How is that not good for a child? I'm going to fight this eventually, I think. I know. This is something I've always wanted, and I don't feel like it's my fight entirely--everyone needs a voice ;] /rant

Anyway. I think we are taking off for Georgia on Thanksgiving morning...around 3am. I promise to sleep the entire way--that will put us there around 1pm, though, so maybe not the whole way. Talked to my father about it today and regretted that decision almost immediately, having decided I should have just not shown up at his lunch instead--save the argument. I'm excited about going, though! Haven't been in 4 years, and it's warm there! It will be good to see Honey, and it may be the last time.

Speaking of weather, it's FREEZING! In the 20's! This is Ohio, we aren't supposed to get snow until January and then through April, but it snowed this week. It was especially bad in my hometown, which I was only in for a few minutes, with the wind and the amount of snow coming down you couldn't see 50ft in front of you. But once I got on the highway and drove a few miles there was nothing--I mean, the roads weren't even wet kind of nothing.

A reminder of the 15" March snow last year (from the "Spring" file):



Chase standing in the snow. Had to shovel around the fence so he could go to the bathroom!

No comments: