Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snomagedden.

It's been snowing here all week. We are not unaccustomed to snow...each year we get one or two snows that total out at a minimum of 15" and several little snows. But, from the way our city closes down when even the slightest bit of snow falls, you'd never know it.

To be fair, this wasn't a small amount of snow. I thought I would go stand in the snow just to show you how deep it is compared to my legs. But then I went to the edge of the snow, and decided it wasn't worth getting my jeans soaking wet.



The high school I'm teaching at now has had two snow days already this week, and is on a 2 hour delay for tomorrow (translation: it will be a snow day by the morning, and we'll be making up days). Even my Uni closed yesterday, and opened at 10am today. I showed up to my night class today, however half the class didn't so it was canceled.

So, besides watching a ridiculous amount of television and finding multiple fire hydrants to photograph...



I read a book.

True English major confession: I haven't read anything other than school related material in probably over a year, and even then it was mostly sparknotes. It's sad, but it's so true.

But I picked this one up after somehow finding it related to the Joyful Heart Foundation (February's Tuesday Tribute). It's by a woman named Andrea Buchanan...who is somehow also related to JHF, though I don't really know how.



It's pretty good. It's 30 essays of inspiration for women, basically. It wasn't as inspiring as I wanted to to be, though admittedly what I really wanted was for the book to reach out and slap me when I got to the "Inspiration Especially for Via" section. Turns out, books don't have arms...or sections especially for me.

It is kind of like a Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul, but for women.

...but that kind of already exists. So...really it's just a smaller, more expensive, pink one.

BUT. Joyful Heart Foundation is in the running for a funding of $250,000 from the Pepsi Refresh project. And you should go vote for it right quick here.

No comments: