Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Two Weeks Notice and Three Things

I turned in my official two weeks notice today. This will give me a perfect amount of time to get two more paychecks, and get me off just in time to go on vacation. I'm going to miss the kids like crazy, but recent events in the workplace have managed to thoroughly piss me off to a point of zero redemption unless they raised my pay $5.00 an hour--then it might buy me off until Christmas. I don't have another job lined up, and I don't know where I'll be applying. I did apply for two individual sitter jobs for infants, but only to cover half the time so I'm not expecting much to come of those. I may even pop my way back into retail instead of childcare--maybe even a quaint little cupcake shop/bakery I've had my eye on. We'll see. Frankly, the fact that I gave two weeks notice rather than just quitting today was astonishing. That's how horrid the week was.

I'm very happy with my decision, though. Happy day :D

Now onto Writer's Workshop from Mama's Losin' It. This weeks topic is Three Random Facts About Me.

I kind of picked three things that will never come up for any real reason in this blog to tell you about.

One
I have an issue with socks.
When I was younger, I literally used to miss the bus because I couldn't find a pair of socks to wear that "felt good". The end of the toe seam that sits on the pinky toe used to drive me nuts. I don't know why this was, I don't notice it anymore, but I still have to have the perfect pair of socks to be comfortable. I'll even buy cute socks because they are cute and never wear them because I hate the way they feel. One time, in Georgia, I found these Champion socks that were just the perfect amount of plush and the perfect length. Not too thick, not too thin, toe-seam-less, and just high enough to keep my sneakers from rubbing on my ankles.
Then these socks got old and needed to be replaced. I looked for these socks forever and never found them. I finally just settled on a pack of Sonoma Life&Style socks that I found randomly by themselves on a shelf in Kohl's and they were perfect. I went back for more and was told I could find them in kids. Kids.

But you take what you can get, so I bought 5 packs of little girls Sonoma Life & Style socks and continue to wear them every day.

Two
My mom and I sound exactly the same on the phone.
We speak differently in person, and we are never confused for each other by our in-person speaking voices. But I have 5 minute conversations on the phone with people who think I'm my mother. Our house phone does this thing where the phone will ring four times, but if you don't pick it up by the third ring it goes to the answering machine anyway. When my mother calls, this happens a lot, and when you listen to the message even I can't tell who is saying what.
It's creepy, but I don't mind it.


Three
I'm really defensive of my dog.
He does not play well with other dogs. I know this. It's sad, but it's true. He is an anklebiter. But when someone says something like "you need to socialize him more" I say something like "he's socialized just fine, thank you." I don't mean to be defensive, but I want to raise my dog the way I want to raise him. And frankly, at this point, he's not going to change with all the socializing in the world. We only have one dog and are not getting another one, so he doesn't need to get along with them. He is fine with people. That's all I care about.


And now you know three things you never cared to :)

4 comments:

d.a.r. said...

Oh man, you had a rough week, huh? I'm glad you made a decision you feel good about!

And my dad can't even tell me and my mother apart on the phone!

Bekah said...

You! <3

(and oh, retail)

Summer said...

Wait....was this you or your mom writing this?

I couldn't tell.

Kidding. I don't even know your mom. Or you for that matter! ;-)

Jessi said...

Eeek! Hope you find another job!

Socks - LOL! That is so funny!

I have cousins that sound exactly the same on the phone (brothers) and I never know who is who. So weird!

Your dog is SO cute! Who cares if he doesn't like other dogs? If you don't plan to get another then he is just fine :)